Due to the current COVID-19 virus pandemic, unfortunately the 2020 NBL1 Season has been cancelled, this includes all three NBL1 conferences.
Basketball Victoria, in conjunction with the NBL, have notified clubs of the decision not to proceed with the 2020 season.
The decision follows the indefinite closure of indoor sports centres because of COVID-19. All three conferences, NBL1 South, NBL1 North and NBL1 Central, had already been postponed until May.
Basketball Victoria Chief Executive Officer Nick Honey said,
“We are disappointed to cancel the NBL1 2020 season, however our current priority is to support associations and clubs get through this difficult period and plan for the relaunch of basketball in the Victorian community when appropriate.”
NBL Chief Operating Officer Andy Crook said,
“Obviously this is unfortunate but it is the most appropriate decision under the current circumstances. The health and safety of players, staff and officials as well as the wider community comes first.
“We also want to allow the clubs to focus on re-establishing grassroots basketball as a matter of priority when the time is right.
“I want to acknowledge the efforts of everyone involved in NBL1, in particular Basketball Victoria, Basketball Queensland, Basketball South Australia and all of our clubs and players.
“We will work with them as we continue to monitor the situation and work towards resuming basketball at a community level at the appropriate time.”
This decision does not impact Big V 2020 season at this stage, that decision will be made by April 17.