Basketball Victoria and the 2022 Victorian Under 20 State Team Coaching Staff would like to invite player tryout nominations from all Metropolitan and Country associations.
Basketball Victoria is inviting Directors of Coaching to submit athlete nominations for the 2022 Victorian Under-20 Men’s and Women’s teams.
Athletes must meet the below criteria:
- Eligible players must not turn 20 years of age prior to 31 December 2022 (ie. they must be born in 2003/2004).
- They must be participating in a competition being conducted by Basketball Australia or Basketball Victoria.
- Players must be nominated by the VJBL Association with which they are registered.
- Ability of the player as displayed during: State Championship games, BV Specialist Camps, NPC squads or previous State Teams
- Athletic ability, size and skill levels that are likely to achieve success at a National Championship.
- Ability to fill a role required by the coaching staff to help the team achieve success.
- Ability to fit into the coach’s team’s concept based on the ability, compatibility, personality and character of the player.
DOCs are to nominate NO MORE than six (6) athletes for each program.
The 2022 Australian Under-20 Championships will be held in Mackay, Queensland in 2022 (dates to be confirmed).
Directors of Coaching at your association to nominate players who are considered to be of a sufficient standard to represent the State at a national level.
Please list them in ranked order with the first player listed ranked as No 1.
Nomination by a club does not mean the player will be automatically invited to attend. Players who are successful will be notified of their invitation to attend tryouts via email by Basketball Victoria.
Directors of Coaching will also be notified (via email by Basketball Victoria) of players from their Association that have been invited to attend.
Given the current Victorian return to sport atmosphere, the trial dates are to be confirmed. Further information around the trials will be announced as soon as possible.
Please note there will be two U20 Men’s and two U20 Women’s teams selected.
Victoria Under-20 Men and Women will be selected first with five (5) emergencies being named for this team. Please note, these emergencies are not automatic or guaranteed selections for the Victoria Navy Blue team.
Under-20 Victoria Navy Blue Men and U20 Victoria Navy Blue Women will be selected after the main team and emergencies have been selected.
Criteria for selection into the Navy Blue team is:
- Development athletes (mostly bottom age)
- Identified Victorian athletes that have not partaken in an AJCs before
- Will benefit greatly from the opportunity to play at an AJCs
- Contributes to a healthy balance of Country and Metro athletes
Victoria Under-20 Men Head Coach – Matt Nunn
Victoria Under-20 Women Head Coach – Kerryn Mitchell